Thursday, June 4, 2009

E in Triplicate.

Another E3 has come and gone.

Well, mostly, but it's pretty much over, anyways.

E3 stands for the Electronic Entertainment Expo. It's considered by many to be the biggest gaming event of the year. A few years back there was no doubt to this, as E3 could pass for a small town, complete with prosti-uh, booth babes.

Now it's smaller in scale, but the big game companies still make huge announcements there, so it's importance hasn't really fallen at all.

Anywho, now it's time for the things I found noteworthy at E3:

There's this new Metroid game coming out for the Wii, which the series is essentially about this chick who wears a battle tank fighting freaky aliens and life-sucking orbs with fangs.

Ehh, just take a look.

Anyways, it's interesting in that it's being developed by Team Ninja, a group responsible for Ninja Gaiden.


It started out as a platforming game, like pretty much anything on the NES.

I'd spell out the NES for you, but it's a freaking Nintendo console. Ask your kid or nerd brother or something.

Anyways, Ninja Gaiden went from that to:


I'd put something else up, but this was the only picture that didn't have fountains of blood.

More importantly, Ninja Gaiden is known for being HARD.

Like, open the door and die hard.

Huh, that sounds like a movie Bruce Willis would be in when he's 80. I can see it now... "Are you an old enough dude to save the nursing home?"

...oh, E3.

Anyways, this means that there's a very good chance this Metroid game will be extremely difficult. Metroid isn't exactly easy in the first place, but man, I'd still want to play this.

There's also a new Mario game, a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy... that I still haven't played.

If you care about Nintendo at all, Mario games are almost like required reading for a literature class. With this new Mario coming up, I really need to get the first Galaxy.

A multiplayer Mario game is coming for the Wii(Everyone knows what the Wii is, I would hope), as well. I'm kinda mixed about this, since I don't actually have anyone to play against at home, and no online play means it'd be pretty much just me playing it. It could still be fun, though, so who knows.

Then we have Golden Sun DS. Golden Sun was a nice duo of RPGs for the Game Boy Advance that had an interesting battle system and and some puzzles that were different that what I've seen. Seeing this series come back is gonna be great.

Sony showed up with The Last Guardian, which is made by the same group that made Shadow of The Colossus, one of the coolest games I've ever played(Hint: It's nothing but boss fights, but made of awesome). The new game looks like the Attack of Godzilla Furby, with you playing the little kid that is it's friend. Something tells me it's still gonna be great, though.

Patrick Stewart is lending his talent to a Castlevania game. Considering it's about people fighting the undead and dark minions of Hell and/or Dracula, my money is on Captain Picard being Dracula himself.

Hey, a guy can dream.

The best is for last, I suppose: Final Fantasy XIV. This sucker's gonna be the next MMO for Square Enix, and it's all but in story a sequel to Final Fantasy XI, the game I still pledge my life to.

I'm excited and scared at the same time. While this is, without a doubt, freaking awesome, there's a good chance that while FFXI will at least be running until there aren't enough people to support the servers, it won't see anymore significant content beyond partial updates. I mean, I could be wrong, but since the Playstation 2(The original and still-used platform for FFXI) isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore, and if Square Enix is going ahead with this, who knows what'll happen to the game I'm still playing. They do promise a year's worht of content, but when it looks like that's three updates, you can see where I'm concerned.

Gloom and Doom aside, E3 gave a lot of things to look forward to. I could've put more stuff in, but I'd be here all day.

Another day, perhaps.

No comments: